If you’ve ever found yourself in a sticky situation, you may have used or needed a 72 hour preparedness kit.
But what is a 72 hour kit, why would you need it, and how do you make one? Keep reading to find out.
What is a 72 Hour Preparedness Kit?
A 72 hour kit is a three-day supply of necessities pre-packed in an easy to carry backpack or duffel bag.
Why Would You Need One?
You never know when you’ll have to leave your home or shelter in place due to an emergency. The purpose of a 72 hour kit is to make sure you and your family are prepared to leave quickly in the event of unforeseen circumstances. This could be in case of evacuation due to fire or hurricane, or to even make sure you have enough supplies should you be trapped in your own home for any reason.
How Do You Make One?
First you’ll want to choose a durable, easy to carry backpack or duffle bag for each member of your family, one that can hold a lot of supplies without becoming compromised. Then you’ll need to choose what you fill it with. Some of the recommended 72 hour kit items include:
- 3 day supply of food
- 3 day supply of water
- First aid kit
- Extra batteries
- Dust mask
- Whistle (or another way to signal for help)
- Local maps
- Manual can opener
- Warm blankets
- Cash or travelers checks
- Extra clothing
- A pair of comfortable shoes
- Copies of important documents
While the aforementioned items are standard in packing any emergency bag, your kit should be tailored to you. Consider packing some of these additional items based on your own needs or the needs of your family members:
- Baby formula
- Pet food
- Prescription medications
- Prescription contacts or eyeglasses
You can find a complete list of recommended items here.
Keep in Mind
Here are a few things to keep in mind after your 72 hour kits have been made:
- Make sure to store your kits in a cool, dry location so that they won’t be susceptible to water or mold.
- Keep your kits in an easy to access location so that you’ll be able to find them quickly in case of emergency.
- Because you never know when an emergency could happen, it’s a good idea to make a kit to keep at home, work, and in your car, so you’ll be prepared no matter where you are.
- Go through your kits at least once a year in order to update them and remove any expired items.
Let Black Diamond Restoration Help
If you’ve ever been in a situation where you’ve used a 72 hour preparedness kit, it’s likely that you could use home restoration services. That’s where Black Diamond Restoration comes in, we specialize in restoring homes with flood, fire, storm, and mold damage back to their former glory. Contact us today to get a free quote on your home restoration project, we serve the Murray and Salt Lake City, Utah, areas.