Five Myths and Facts About Mold Effects On Your Health  

Five myths and facts about mold effects on your health

There are many misconceptions about the effects of mold on our health and well-being. The severity of mold effects on your health can vary, but any time mold is present in your home, office, or any building, it is essential to remove it as quickly and thoroughly as possible. 

It can be challenging to determine the truth or validity of claims made about mold. To help clear up confusion, here are five myths and facts about how mold can affect your health. 

All mold is toxic—myth

Mold may be unpleasant and cause many problems, but not all mold is toxic. Over 3000,000 different types of mold have been grouped into three general categories based on how the mold affects human health.

The most dangerous category is toxigenic. These species of mold release mycotoxins into the air, are microscopic, and can spread. Myco comes from the Greek word for fungi, and mycotoxins are toxic to all humans and animals. Not all toxogenic mold release mycotoxins, but it can be difficult to know which do and which don’t if you are not a professional. 

One specific species of toxigenic mold that does not release dangerous mycotoxins is Stachybotrys chartarum, more commonly known in the media as “black mold.” In reality, it is more of a dark greenish color than black and has not been proven to release mycotoxins or be any more dangerous than most other mold found in homes. 

The second category of mold is pathogenic, and pathogenic mold can cause infections in humans and animals. The severity of the infection can depend on the health of the person exposed and the amount they are exposed to. Even if you are in good health, you may develop a respiratory or pulmonary infection if exposed to a large amount of pathogenic or over a long period. 

Most mold falls in the category of allergenic. These are most commonly inhaled and can trigger symptoms similar to common airborne allergies. It can be difficult to determine whether that runny nose is caused by hayfever or an allergenic mold that has been overlooked in your home. Other symptoms may include headache, fatigue, and skin irritation.  

Everyone is exposed to mold spores—fact 

It’s true. Most people associate mold with darkness, dampness, and humidity. These are the standard conditions in which mold thrives, but mold spores can be found almost anywhere, even in dry, arid climates. 

Humans come into contact with mold spores all the time, but reactions to mold can vary greatly. Just because one person does not exhibit symptoms of mold exposure does not mean that mold is not present or negatively impacting others. Mold can have an even more dangerous impact on those with asthma or other respiratory illnesses. 

Even though mold can be found anywhere, that does not mean it should be ignored. If mold is found inside your home, it should always be professionally removed as quickly and thoroughly as possible to protect the health and safety of your household.

Anyone can remove mold—myth

Cleaning and removing small amounts of mold on your own may be possible using household cleaners. In doing so, it is always important to remember to wear gloves, a mask (N95 recommended), and protective eyewear. The problem with removing it on your own is that the mold will usually grow back and continue to spread. This is especially true with large amounts of mold.

Professional mold removal saves you time and energy and can ensure the mold does not return and you are not exposed to dangerous mold effects during the process. Experts like our team here at Black Diamond Water Damage and Restoration can eradicate mold quickly and effectively so you can get back to your life as quickly and safely as possible. If you are unsure what to do if you discover mold in your home, start with the EPA guide found here

Mold is more dangerous for immunocompromised individuals—fact

You are more likely to experience mold effects on your health if you have underlying conditions. Those with respiratory illnesses such as asthma, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), cystic fibrosis, or sarcoidosis are more susceptible to mold effects and are more likely to develop severe symptoms or infections. 

Any person with a compromised immune system or who is taking immunosuppressants is at greater risk when it comes to mold exposure. 

Many preventative measures can be taken to protect yourself and your loved ones from negative mold effects on your health. 

  • Keep your home well ventilated and maintain around 50% humidity using dehumidifiers or air conditioners.
  • Clean up all spills and excess water immediately.
  • Repair or replace leaks, including windows that may occasionally leak or sweat
  • Use construction materials that are mold inhibitors.

Mold damage is always visible—myth

There are some visible signs of mold that can be recognized. Warping, cracking, peeling, or expanding materials can be a sign of mold, even if you don’t see mold growing on the outside. If mold is visible, it is usually dark but can appear in different colors. It often looks fuzzy or powdery. 

But mold often may not be seen before it becomes a problem. A distinct smell usually accompanies mold. If you discover a musty, earthy smell in a part of your home, there is a good chance that there is mold present. 

Black Diamond Restoration Will Detect and Remove Mold

When it comes to mold, you can never be too cautious. If you suspect mold is present in your home, call Black Diamond Water Damage and Restoration today for a consultation and quote. 

Professional mold removal saves you time and energy and can ensure the mold does not return and you are not exposed to dangerous mold effects during the process. Experts like our team here at Black Diamond Water Damage and Restoration can eradicate mold quickly and effectively so you can get back to your life as quickly and safely as possible. If you are unsure what to do if you discover mold in your home, start with the EPA guide found here

Black Diamond Water Damage and Restoration can detect and remove mold safely and effectively. They offer licensed, certified professionals to help you any time of the day or night. If you want it done right, make sure you call Black Diamond Water Damage and Restoration.

Facebook
Twitter
LinkedIn

Recent Posts

7 Easy Ways to Detect Mold In Your Home

7 Easy Ways to Detect Mold In Your Home

Detecting mold in your home is challenging. These often microscopic lifeforms manage to remain elusive until their numbers grow too big to be ignored. Here are some ways you can test for mold in your home.

Read More »
Does Water Damage Get Worse Over Time?

Does Water Damage Get Worse Over Time

The truth is that water damage occurs in grades, and the sooner you get the damage cleaned up, the better you can restore your home. Today’s blog covers water damage and how it gets worse over time.

Read More »